Sunday, March 27, 2011

Amazon Kindle won't reset or come out of sleep mode?

I recently purchased an Amazon Kindle 3 with 3G and WiFi and immediately fell in love with it. I have always loved reading and the Kindle was a great purchase, the books are much cheaper than retail prices and I can read virtually anywhere. Traditional books get wear and tear and you constantly need two hands to read. With the Kindle reading requires only one hand and the push of a button changes the page.


The first Kindle I got was giving me some problems, it seemed to stay stuck in sleep mode and sometimes when turning the page it appeared as if it was having a hard time and the screen would go blank for a few seconds. It would also seem to randomly reset. Eventually one morning when I went to read while I had my morning coffee the page went blank for a few seconds and then these lines appeared going down and across the screen making reading impossible. Now if this happenes to you what you probably have is a factory defective kindle and it will need to be replaced. Amazon Kindle customer support is great and will send a new one before you even return the other on the understanding that if you damaged your original kindle yourself you will have to pay for the replacement as well. I had my new Kindle the next day as a matter of fact.

My replacement Kindle worked wonderfully for awhile and then it seemed to have that trouble coming out of sleep mode. This Kindle never had problems with page turning or resetting. Then one day I flipped the power switch and all I could see was a sleep mode picture of birds (I ended up really disliking those birds). I tried holding the switch for 15 seconds for a soft reset and still nothing. I plugged it into my computer and the screen didnt even go to the charging screen. So then I took the back off which seems difficult but you just have to really get in there with your fingernails. There is a small reset button near the bottom that I pressed thinking this would have to do the trick, a hard reset. The screen didn't change one bit, it didnt even flicker. Almost out of ideas I tried one more thing, I took the battery out. You need a small screwdriver to take it out but when I got it out the screen shut off completely. I put the battery back in and the Kindle turned on like nothing was wrong.



So, try taking the battery out and then putting it back in if all else fails before you decide you have to send it back. I think my problem with the second Kindle was that I didnt put it to sleep as soon as I was done reading by flicking the power switch and I let it go to sleep on its own. Im not sure if thats what caused it but I started always putting it to sleep after I had the problem and it has worked great for 6 months straight now.

No comments:

Post a Comment